We contribute to the film through the Google Docs Waking Up collection.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
The license apply to the docs in the Google Docs/Drive Waking Up Movie Collection. This license does not apply to the finished film.
Here are the rules for contributing:
Waking Up is a collaborative movie and any contribution can be used or not be used, as it is, changed or used as inspiration for something else, whether it is submitted in The World, The Story or The Script. If one chooses to submit a ‘full story’ or a ‘full script’, this will be looked at as any other contribution in any length to be used or not used, changed or drawn upon in the final movie. Everyone’s ideas, writings and opinions are respected and welcomed and all comments and suggestions will be taken into account.
And here are the guidelines:
- The Purpose. The purpose of this movie is a ‘thought experiment’ to present what a future can be like a 100 years from now if humanity chooses a positive direction of love, sharing, giving, compassion and peace, and we update our values, social systems and technology accordingly. In this future there is no money or ownership (or at least looked at completely differently), and the global economy is something like a resource based economy. It’s a totally new world, but has gotten there through a long history of a 100 years from present time. It has a lot of new technology and values, but also contains elements of present time.
- The Time. Most of the action happens in the year 2112 with elements from present time and from the transition. 2112 is far away enough for us not to know exactly how it is going to look, leaving plenty of room to imagine the positive future we would like.
- The Concept. The concept used to tell the story is a person from present time who wakes up from cryopreservation in 2112. This leaves lots of room to present what this world looks like and how it works to the audience, since this person has to experience this new world for the first time, just like the audience. It can also create a lot of drama in terms of medical complications, meetings with old relatives, trouble with adjusting to the new world, and more. Only our imagination is the limit!
- The Characters. There will of course be several characters in this movie. The main character is set, and this is Benjamin (called Ben). He is the one waking up from cryo in 2112 after having been frozen in 2014. The other set character that exists is Aweena. She is from 2112 and is Ben’s guide in this world, showing him around and helping him start his life again. There will be several other characters in this film that will work as representatives for the different aspects in this world, and enhance the story.
- A Movie. Waking Up is a full feature length narrative film and not a TV series, short film or an ‘edutainment film’, even though it will definitely be educational in several aspects. But that will emerge through the story itself. We will probably end up with more than enough material for several movies, so a Waking Up 2 or even 3 and 4 might be possible in the future. Even prequels have been suggested. And of course, one does not exclude the other, so a TV series is not impossible either sometime.
- The Script. Everyone can contribute to The Script for this movie. We will not make a movie based on different peoples videoclips, as some might think. The movie will be shot as a standard feature film based on the written contributions we get in and the script we end up with.
- Language. All submissions has to be in english. If you’re not steady in english, there’s a translation button on the top (machine translation), and to submit you can use Google Translate, or a friend who’s steady in english.
I hope these guidelines serves as triggers for the imagination! :)
And of course, if you have any comment on the guidelines, please bring it.
You might also want to take a look at Resources For Writing before you venture on.
Let’s make this movie!